If your school has a pre-prepared menu for snacks and lunches, SchoolsBuddy can be utilised to create a Canteen Style menu to accommodate this, both with or without payments.
First, we need to set up an Instant Book and Pay Container.
- Click on 'Activities & Clubs' (This may be labelled differently for your Club/School.
- Then click on 'Lunches' if you do not have those option and would like a bespoke label please contact email@example.com. Otherwise please select an instant book and pay label.
- Then click on '+Add'
- Give the container a title, e.g. 'Lunch Autumn term 2020'.
- Add a description.
- Set the Sign Up Type to 'Instant Book and Pay'
- Set Maximum Bookable events per group to 0
- Set the Start and end dates. That you wish for parents to be able to select school lunches.
- The start and end times set to your school's lunchtimes.
- The Responsibility for Confirmation would be down to the choice of the school/club 'Parent Only' one must be selected.
- For the 'Sign up opens' date and time, this will need to be before the first event
- For the 'Sign up closes' dates, this will need to be before the last date of the 'Activities End Date' although this would depend on your setup, we are able to set up on the event 'Sign up' a week ahead of the date and 'Sign up closes' on the day on the event. A default must be added here.
- Leave the 'Select All' box checked, check the 'Use Organisation Block Dates' box and it will be the decision of the school/club decision whether to allow Voucher Payments.
- Add any Terms and conditions you require.
- If required, you can add a form here so that when a parent/student books an event, you can acquire further information, e.g. food allergies etc. If you wish for an additional form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click Save
Next, we need to create the groups.
If you are not assigning year groups but individual groups of children we will need to create a custom group. In this example, it could be children that qualify for free school meals. Please see the help guide here.
Once you have created any custom groups. You need to be on the Groups tab for the Container so click the blue '+Add' button on the right.
- Give the group a title, e.g. 'Free School Meals'
- Type a description if required
- Select who the group will be available to
- Select the gender of the students who are eligible for the group
- Choose the Lead Staff member
- Select the Activity (If you require a new Activity, please contact SchoolsBuddy and we can add one for you)
- Select the default location. If you don't have a suitable location available, you can add a new location. An article explaining how to do this can be found here: Creating Event Locations
- Click 'Save'.
Once the groups have been created we need to create the events.
You will need to make two sets of events if you have lunches that are free of charge and other lunches that carry a charge.
- Title: This will be the name of the snack or lunch option, e.g. Hot meal- Meat
- Vital and Additional Information: Add anything that you think may be useful to the parent/student or leave blank.
- Booking Options: Choose Individual
- Number of places: Leave as 0
- Create for groups: Depending upon the event we are creating will determine which group to select. In this case, the Hot Meal- Meat is free of charge. So I have selected the free school meals group.
- Location: Check the Use group default location
- Event Type: Choose Lunches - This will allow you to see the dates when booking. If you do not require dates then you can choose fee-only event type. If you would like a new event type or Lunches does not exist for your school, please contact email@example.com and we can set it up for you.
- Cost Type: If there is no fee involved, jump to point 12. If there is a fee involved, change this to Chargeable and set the Price per session accordingly
- Percentage to pay at time of booking/Deposit (%): If you wish for parents/students to pay in full at time of booking, set this to 100. If you want them to pay later, set this to 0.
- Includes Tax: Check this box if you wish to include tax. This will depend on your school/club.
- Payment method:
- If you are using the fees system within SchoolsBuddy, select 'Default'.
- If the parents/students are paying by another method, select 'For display purposes only'
- If you wish to hide or ignore the fees, select 'Hide/Ignore fees'
- Frequency: Set to Multiple days and check the Event date is correct
- Sign Up Opens and Closes Dates: Here, you have the option of giving each individual event it's own sign-up opens and closes date. Leave blank to use the container dates. In this example, it opens up 7 days before the date and shuts 4 hours before lunchtime, allowing parents to book on the morning if required. You can have these to suit your school protocol.
- Click 'Create Rule'
You may receive a warning message after pressing save; this is due to creating numerous events at the same time with the different options. This is fine and you should click the green 'Yes, create rule anyway' button.
The events can be 'copied' if you have a chargeable group that will need to pay for school lunches you will need to create a duplicate your free event with a charge associated.
Once you have created the events we need to publish the events.
Select publish events, toggle that you confirm to publish the events then hit the green publish button.
Once published under existing events you will see all the events published.
You are able to manually book students as required. The events will produce a register that you can export to know numbers to cater to for each preference.