Faria Education Group is offering a paid Virtual Summer Internship programme to support high school graduates, aged 18 or above, who, due to the impacts of COVID-19, may not be able to participate in-person internships this summer.
As a global business, with a remote-first mindset, we are pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to support students graduating at a difficult time. An internship at Faria will give IB students who have used ManageBac throughout their school life, a chance to see how the product is built, and how the company operates. Interns will learn the nuts and bolts of working in a SaaS company, make meaningful contributions to ongoing projects, and work alongside the team who build ManageBac to improve it for future users.
Two focus areas are on offer:
- Design, Illustration & Front-end Development,
- Product Management
- The programme will last for 6 weeks, from July 6 - August 14, 2020.
- Interns will be expected to commit up to 30 hours per week, much of which will be self-directed.
- Due to the global nature of this internship programme, interns may be required to take calls outside of normal business hours in their time zone.
- Interns will be paid a stipend of USD $420 per week.
- We will be looking for two interns for each focus area
- Link to applications for each focus area can be found below. Applications close on July 3, with positions being filled as suitable candidates are found.
- Induction: Overview of Faria and the products, introductions to the team, system set up
- Project based work: You will be given a brief by your mentor to work on independently, with regular check-ins for questions, feedback and progress reports.
- Reviews: Interns will present their work, share their experiences, and have an opportunity to give feedback on the programme. Mentors will provide interns with feedback on their work and performance.
- Interest in the SaaS industry and in particular education technology.
- Knowledge of IB programmes and curriculum.
- Committed, strategic, and persistent.
- Ability to handle a project end to end, following tasks through to completion.
- Very organized with a keen attention to detail and the ability to think analytically and critically.
- Able to work collaboratively, but with a significant amount of personal accountability.
- An excellent communicator in English, both verbally and written, with the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of people.
- Access to a computer with a stable internet connection.
- Interns must be aged 18 or over.
Internship Focus Areas, Specific Requirements, & Application
A. Design, Illustrators & Front-end Developers
For aspiring Designers, Illustrators and Front-End developers
1. Designer & Illustrators
Over the internship period, for the Designer & Illustrators strand, you will work directly with our Design & Brand Directors to create:
- Illustrations: for use throughout ManageBac and as custom Login pages
- Icons: together with our external Design agency in Amsterdam, YummyGum, to assist us with extending our icon kit.
- Motion Graphics / Short Videos: introducing new features and workflows.
Apply with your portfolio from Dribbble, Behance or other, and a short written background statement.
2. Designer & Front-End
Over the internship period, for the Design and Front-End strand, you will work directly with our Front-End Development Team to assist with:
- UI Kit: building out and extending our design system and components, learning the basics of web application development.
- Prototyping: to rapidly iterate from Sketch into clickable designs in order to perform UX testing and to ensure full coverage of states.
- Web <> Mobile Alignment: working with our Product Management Team and Design Director to improve our Web & Mobile user experience.
Must have strong Sketch and Front-End development skills. Apply with your portfolio and a short written background statement describing your Front-End experience.
B. Product Management
For aspiring Technology Entrepreneurs and future Product Managers
Over the internship period, for the Product Management strand, you will work directly with our Product Management Team to learn the ins and outs of new product development encompassing the following areas:
- Validating Product-Market Fit: assist with market research and validating a new product & service built for students. You will learn how to evaluate TAM, market segments, and build up resonance marketing skills along with a deep understanding of hyper-differentiation.
- Product Specifications: you will learn the fundamentals of new product development from writing specs, creating wireframes in BalsamIQ, organizing JIRA epics, and more.
- Go-to-Market: you will work through a release checklist integrated with our Product Marketing teams - in the process, building a deep understanding of market positioning vs. competitors, SWOT analysis and pricing (value-based, cost, or efficiency savings).
Must be highly motivated, organized, with meticulous attention-to-detail, excellent written communication skills. No prior technical experience is required.
Faria was founded in 2006 to transition schools from paper to an online curriculum-focused learning platform. Today, Faria is a world leader in international education SaaS systems and services, powering curriculum for over 10,000 schools & districts and 3 million students with a suite of services:
ManageBac is an online planning, assessment and reporting platform for international schools, supporting over 2,600 schools in 120 countries. By providing schools with one unified system on a consistent, modern and mobile-ready interface, ManageBac offers a seamless & integrated experience for coordinators, teachers, students and parents.
OpenApply is a modern online admissions office supporting every stage of the applicant journey from enquiry to enrolment. Our cloud-based interface works seamlessly across devices for both families and staff, streamlining the process and reducing stress. Today OpenApply supports over 350 schools in over 70 countries.
Atlas is the leading curriculum management platform. As the trusted choice for over 6,000 schools in 120 countries, we provide customized learning programmes for innovative pre K-12 curriculum leaders.With a team of expert educators, Atlas also offers professional development workshops and summits; from teacher professional development, such as curriculum design strategies, to sessions designed to support school leaders overseeing change in schools.
SchoolsBuddy is the complete extracurricular system for staff, students and parents, featuring online signup, allocation, management, payment and attendance for after school activities. SchoolsBuddy also provides for organisation, communication, consent, safeguarding and fee payments for school trips, sports teams, after school care clubs, school events and much more.
Curriculum Trak provides the leading curriculum management platform for K-12 faith-based schools. Curriculum Trak’s unique Faith Learning Integration allows teachers to easily align key conceptual spiritual understandings with curriculum, lesson plans, and learning outcomes. Through Curriculum Trak, schools can join a larger network of faith-based schools to collaborate around faith-based teaching content and resources. Founded in 2003, Curriculum Trak services are used by more than 850 schools and districts.
We are a globally distributed team with offices in Portland, Chicago, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, UK, and Ukraine.